There are many people who have been affected by this 3 week journey...
People who have listened, agreed, prayed, and encouraged me in following my conviction; others who listened, prayed, questioned, disagreed, and cried over my conviction; and still others who were somewhere in between.
To ALL of you: Thank you.
To those who encouraged me and validated I was not the only one who had these convictions - It is because of you I still have my sanity.
To those who disagreed with me - You challenged my courage and made me cling to Jesus all the more.
ALL of you showed me unconditional love and I thank you.
The decision:
Many of you know that a week ago, under my husband's leading, it was decided we would pray together nightly for a week and trust God to lead his heart in regards to me covering my head.
Early in the week I was optimistic/hopeful that the Lord would give a divine revelation to my husband. You know something like some disturbing nightmare where he would see demons chasing me and they would be unable to touch me because I was marked. :) Well, although that would have been a good story that's not the way God worked. I had planned to fast both Tuesday and Wednesday; not praying for the answer I wanted but whatever God desired. Although my convictions on headcovering being of significance had not changed I knew that God works in mysterious ways and He may choose not to put the conviction on my husband's heart for whatever reason; that maybe He had accomplished all that He desired already through this.
Wednesday morning I felt a great peace (I know it was from all of your prayers) and after blow drying my hair I didn't feel as compelled to put the headcovering on... I did put it on but I sensed God might be preparing me for a "no" answer from my husband. Later that morning I felt God released me from the fasting. I just had a sense the decision had been made. I sensed the answer was a no and that was okay. Now anyone who has followed my journey knows it is with passion and courage I have covered my head so I knew it was the Holy Spirit who was allowing that peace that passes understanding.
I didn't tell my husband this yesterday since his decision was to be given today.
Today with loving tears my husband said he was sorry... that he had prayed about it (I know he was open to the Lord) and he hadn't felt any change of conviction on the issue. He was very affirming in his love for me and concerned about hurting me. I told him about how yesterday I had felt released from fasting before lunch and sensed that the decision had been made. He found that very interesting as it was yesterday (at work) before lunch that he felt the decision to say no confirmed.
I know this decision will sadden some who share in my conviction and relieve others who did not understand! As far as how I am doing. I am doing well. I truly am not in turmoil. Why? Because I trust my God without question. A friend asked me today how I felt and the word that came with tears was "Blessed". I feel blessed because God answered my prayer; the heart cry that started this blog journey.
My plea a few months ago was that I would find my identity in Christ alone and not be focused on what other's thought of me; That I wanted to not be concerned with the affirmations of others but willing to give up, do anything the Lord wanted me to. I wanted to run after Him with my whole heart. Well, I certainly never would have even thought of the idea of Him putting the convictions on my heart he did in order to do that! It blows me away how He so cleverly and perfectly answered my prayer through this 3 week journey! All I've had to go on for the last 3 weeks was trusting what God had spoke to my heart. I clung to Jesus, delighted in Him, and found my identity in Him alone. He gave me courage to be obedient and faithful, to do what He had asked of me in the face of great opposition. The Lord knows it was a spiritual victory!
Besides answering my plea He did so much more!
*The Lord used our Pastor as an instrument to reveal to my husband that he needed to step up in being the spiritual leader of our home and showed me that I was holding onto the reigns more than I realized. I have already seen a transformation begin to occur in our home from this.
*It was ever apparent, through this time, what an incredible miracle God did do in our marriage back in October (that will be another long post, another time!) Satan could have tried to use my husband and I's differing opinions on headcovering to tear us apart but instead God used it to knit our hearts together even more and bring himself Glory.
*God used it to challenge me and others to search out His word. During the past 3 weeks God has given me a love and thirst for His word like I have never known.
*I saw the blessing of how the Holy Spirit led different individuals to be ministering angels to me... from a friend he brought to my door to pray with me, another friend who listened when I needed to cry on someone, from a sister-in-law who saw my heart, to sister's in Christ from all over the U.S. and beyond who sent me timely notes of encouragement, shared scripture with me and lifted me up in prayer... and on and on!
*I saw how God used this journey to help me be an encouragement and inspiration to Christian women throughout the world who cover their head and felt misunderstood; they realized they were not alone! They are special to me.
*I learned the depth of love I share with my parents (I love you dearly), and long time friends who did not understand, challenged me out of love and concern, and kept on loving me.
*I found me! I learned I am unique, and that I have many yearnings and convictions of my heart that don't fit in with much of mainstream Christianity AND that it's okay!
To some who do not know my heart and the details of this journey they will think I am a confused soul but I know I have found my identity in my Lord Jesus. The headcovering journey has been a blessing and I will always be a headcovering lady at heart.
Thanks for coming on my journey!
Blessings,
Joanna "Momma Jo"
"Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence?
If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, "Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me," even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. How precious to me are your thoughts, O God! How vast is the sum of them! Were I to count them, they would outnumber the grains of sand. When I awake, I am still with you. Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting."










Oh, dear one, thank you for sharing this. I'd been thinking of you today. I won't say I'm not disappointed. I am. But maybe I am disappointed for selfish reasons. I wanted your husband to see it our way (fleshly woman that I am!), but then I remembered that much in our faith walk is a mystery. We don't always understand it, but then we don't always need to understand it. And you reminded me that we can always, ALWAYS rest in the knowledge that our Heavenly Father loves us and will work out everything for HIS glory and our ultimate good. I entrust you to our Lord, and I am comforted by the fact that you have such peace now. God be glorified. I know your husband loves you beyond words, and would never want to hurt you. I really sense that. I'll be emailing you soon, dear one.
ReplyDeleteHugs,
M
Truth is truth even if we don't see it that way. Some see it immediately, some see it after some time and some are blind for it forever. God knows your heart and knows your husband. Now, you don't have other choice but to pray for your husband to grow in God's wisdom and knowledge. Even if you don't have covered head, you have covered heart... and for now this is enough... miracles still occur...
ReplyDeleteGod loves you...May you have a life of peace and contentment, living under His wings.
ReplyDeleteSister Joanna,
ReplyDeleteYou are a great example of biblical submission. God's way is perfect, and sometimes he says no. I happy that you feel at peace. You are blessed with a loving husband. Don't forget that God knows your heart. Keep trusting in God.
~Victoria
Momma Jo, this is a beautiful post...and a wonderful reminder that even after we have felt led to do something we should continue to listen to God's direction and see how He will move us in that subject. You have done a wonderful thing by allowing your husband to pray about this and lead you....I have no doubt that you will be blessed for the obedience and loving submission that you have displayed, as hard as it may have been.
ReplyDeleteI was just telling my husband about you last night...about how a fellow hoosier that I "know" has allowed God to lead her in a way that so many consider unreasonable. That really is more than most Christians are willing to give. I'm sure that just the experience of covering for a few weeks will strengthen your faith for a lifetime. The Lord really *does* work in mysterious ways (as cliche as the saying is), and think you've had an impact on many people though this. I'm so glad that our Father has lead you through this experience and now has given you peace on this issue. Blessings, Momma Jo.
By the way...you *look* like you are at peace in your photo. So glad to see you so comforted :)
ReplyDeleteHi Joanna! Thank you so much for your honesty during this whole ordeal. It is a blessing to see a woman submit to her husband even though her husband disagrees with her. It is convicting. Sometimes we can be so consumed with our convictions being right that we fail to see that is disobedience to not submit to our husbands. I am so happy to hear that you both are in agreement now and have peace about the situation. That is wonderful. Will you be doing that outreach ministry now that you had previously turned down? Please pray for me with a similar situation where my husband and I have differing convictions. We can email more about that privately if you want to know more. I hope we can continue our friendship. God bless you!
ReplyDeleteMelissa
http://titus2wifeandmommy.blogspot.com (My Christian women resource blog)
http://happyhomestead.etsy.com (Christian headcoverings, headbands, and more made by me)
Thanks for sharing your journey! I'm so glad you're at peace with God and your husband about it!
ReplyDeleteMy husband and I have come to the conlusion that God asks women (me) to wear a a headcovering during corporate worship (church).
It is sometimes hard to be the only woman at my church who doesn't think this command is cultural, but my husband and I know that this is the right thing for me to do.
At the same time, though, neither of us feel that I should be wearing one all the time. And, as I am continuously working to be a submissive wife and my hubby knows this, taking the wearing of a headcovering out of the context of the church is not where God has called me.