Yes, I like the Goodwill and I am not embarrassed by that in the least. It makes no sense to me why people find buying quality clothing at a wonderful price to be something to be ashamed of! Oh how pride and vanity gets in the way of this human race! Anyways, on to my story:
I came home with my purchases and was so pleased with the pictured outfit.
This sweater and skirt cost me a total of $8.00! I love it. However, when I modeled it for my husband this was his response: "You look very middle aged." WHAT?????
I have never, ever got that response on something and I tell you I did not like it. It sent me into a tail spin! I still have not completely recovered. Why? I took that response as a total insult!
He didn't seem to understand and I had to figure out why that comment bothered me immensely! What does middle-aged mean anyway? I looked it up today and this is the definition of middle-aged: "... the period between youth and old age, about 45 to 60" (from wikipedia.com)
While others say anywhere over the age of 35! Ouch... that is near.
So what's my deal? Several months ago before my wardrobe overhaul, I was wearing junior's clothing (fyi for all you 30 year olds out there - junior style clothing is for teens and early 20's!). Although I was way beyond those years that didn't seem to bother me. Yet, my recent clothing purchase being defined as older than my actual age did bother me! Hmmmm... maybe it's that human race/pride and vanity thing I mentioned earlier.
Upon further intense questioning on why my husband used those words it was clear he didn't think it was an insult; he just meant it was an older/more mature look. I've got to say despite my initial repulsion to his remark I've decided I should take that as a compliment. I'm not some teeny bopper who's out to beguile the world. I'm a mature lady who knows who she is and is beyond all that shallow vanity stuff... okay I'm working on it anyways! :)










I like your outfit - it looks nice on you :o)
ReplyDeleteMen! They crack me up.
ReplyDeleteGlad it was compliment, really, and you look great!
I like the outfit too. I am in my mid-30s and am so very, very glad to be this age instead of still in my twenties. I *love* having gained the wisdom I have so far and look forward to gaining more in the future. I think it would be a very good thing to take the middle aged comment and wear it as a badge of honor!!
ReplyDeleteLOl!! I had a similar-looking skirt and a teen girl said to me "I like your skirt, it makes you look like an old lady!" Definately not as 'bad' as middle aged, but it did make me pause for a moment.I asked her what she emant and she said it made me look like a mother...I guess she was trying to say what your husband was saying.I love the outift by the way, it's basically the way I dress.
ReplyDeleteThanks ladies! :)
ReplyDeleteI thought you would likely be able to relate as far as finding humor in the way men word things and the way we take them!
MommaJo
Your comments made me laugh. It reminded me of a time when Haley told me, "Mom, you aren't very cool...at least not like aunt Stephanie - she's way cool and you dress kind of old". That was definitely not what I wanted to hear but so be it!
ReplyDeleteI think you look beautiful. I think I would have liked for your hubby to have said that instead. As for your deals, you should come to my hometown! We have a spot that's even better than Good Will (that was my former hangout); the clothes are better and less expensive! Last week I bought the nicest pair of boots for $4. We would have a ball!!
ReplyDeleteBTW, thanks for mentioning my blog. You are such a dear, dear thing.
Grace,
M
OMG, Mama, you are RIGHT!! It's almost just like my skirt!! Great minds think alike!!:-]
ReplyDelete