What this blog is about:

My journey to making Jesus my Pearl; turning away from the thinking of this world and finding my identity and joy in Christ alone.



Matthew 13:44-46

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field."

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it."


Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Plain or Fancy?

Plain?

When God put it on my heart to dress modest and feminine I soon after felt the desire upon my heart to dress more plainly (solid colors, less detail etc); to shy away from trendier, more stylish looking clothing. I know, at least partly, why God put that upon my heart. The reason being was whenever I got dressed, in the past, I was putting on what I was for the attention of others. I was trying to find my identity in superficial things. I wasn't really trying to look nice for my husband or just wearing the items because it was something I liked; It was for the attention/affirmation of the world.

A change has been brewing in me: I have recently began to desire to wear the less plain looking things. As I began to desire to once again wear more stylish looking tops and accessories I felt a little conflicted inside. Was this something satan was tempting me with to pull me away from the things God had put on my heart OR was God giving me the freedom now to wear less plain looking things?

I knew my motives had changed: I no longer was drawn to the stylish things to impress the world but simply because they were things that I thought were beautiful and things that I knew my husband thought I looked nice in. (Although my husband respects the change in modesty he doesn't find the plain look overly attractive.)

I prayed about this. I didn't want to make a change without peace about it. As I prayed about it God kept putting on my mind the passage of scripture in Proverbs 31 about how the woman spoke of (vs 22) "maketh herself coverings of tapestry; her clothing is silk and purple." This didn't sound like plain jean jumpers to me! It sounded like she clothed herself elegantly, with beautiful, fine clothing. God gave me peace that I now had the freedom in Him to wear the beautiful clothes because my motives honor Him!

So, I am delighting in the simple things... like putting on a beaded necklace in the morning, when I'm going nowhere, simply because I like it and feel feminine wearing it! That may sound silly but you see I rarely ever wore necklaces at home in the past. I put them on when I was going out in public - it was the public I was trying to look a certain way for. Today I wear it because I like it and my heart is at peace with God.

Or Fancy?

P.S. I share this as my own journal of things going on in my heart and life. Do not take any of my convictions or "freedoms" and think "Oh, that's what God must want me to do." This is simply what God has put on my own heart. Seek the Lord for what He desires for you! He teaches each of us differently and uses different things to bring us to where He wants us to be.

5 comments:

  1. I would not called this second outfit fancy. It is very simple and beautiful. I must admit that I don't like plain style (amish, menonite) and think that some women should avoid that style of clothing (I don't want to be rude but this is true). We are called to be modest and we can be this even with contemporary clothes. It just need more effort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually felt the same way. Except now that I am living in the freedom of dressing in things I enjoy...it's much easier to give in to things that I do feel convicted about. It's a lot easier to say, "Well, this isn't so bad, is it?"

    But I just remember who I am living for and I try not to live for anyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the outfit is very cute and stylish.Nothing wrong with wearing cute modest clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post was very beneficial to me, seeing as this topic is something I am praying about and seeking the Lord's guidance in. Thank you for sharing the part where you said,

    "I put them on when I was going out in public - it was the public I was trying to look a certain way for. Today I wear it because I like it and my heart is at peace with God."

    This is why I'm seeking a more plain appearance, myself, because I know that I only ever wear makeup, nice clothing, jewelry, etc., when I'm going out. For this reason, I know that I'm only doing it to impress others. This is not a good reason, or a right one, to be dressing this way. I feel called to dress modest and plain so that God can change my heart, in the process. Maybe some day I will go back to wearing finer things, once my heart has decided that I'm doing it because I like it and it pleases the Lord (and my hubby, too!).

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Godly Woman of Virtue" - I am so glad this was beneficial to you. I can completely relate to why you are dressing modest and plain - it sounds like you are where I was.
    God knew my heart was ugly and needed a makeover! :) Whether God releases you from the conviction of dressing plain or if He puts it on your heart to always dress plain - either way is beautiful because you're listening to the Lord!

    Blessings!
    Joanna

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment!

Please note: All photos or images on this blog are either my own photography, ones understood to be public domain images, or ones used with permission.
 
ss_blog_claim=74d49b7f6cc3d69cebfbd1b1d7dd8739