Yes, I'm back again. You're probably not surprised. LOL. Every time I think I'm done with this blog I find myself here again. There's just so much of my heart written here in this blog and so much of the topics I've written on are still things on my heart.
Some will notice I deleted the last post where I was sporting jeans and feeling like I was to walk away from dresses out of respect for my husband. He never asked me not to wear dresses - simply said he'd like to see me in pants sometimes. I tend to be an all or nothing kinda gal. I don't want to ride the fence at all on something. If I feel like I'm riding a fence I'd rather walk away. I don't know that it is completely a bad thing except that sometimes I don't give things thorough enough thought. I shared before that the LORD put on my heart the following passage:
Colossians 3:12-18
"Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity. Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God. And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.
Wives, submit to your husbands, as is fitting in the Lord."
It is of utmost importance that I focus on putting on love and that I'm willing to submit to my husband. That is not in question and was something I needed to be reminded of. Being a woman of godly character, full of love and compassion far outweighs what article of clothing I put on. I have learned in the past few months the dangers of legalism and that I don't want to go there.
But, what I need to realize is that focusing on love and being willing to submit to my husband doesn't mean I have to walk away from something helpful. He never told me to not wear dresses - simply to occasionally wear pants at home. He's very reasonable. It was just an all or nothing thing to me for some reason.
After these few weeks of wearing jeans most all of the time I quickly saw myself fall back into picking up wrong motives behind my clothing choices. I wish that were not true but it is. I realized how necessary it is for me to have a solid fence; one that may not be necessary for many women. This is obviously a weakness for me and why the Lord put it on my heart close to a year and a 1/2 ago to dress much more conservative.
I am working on a new blog that will encompass more of my life: homeschooling, and day to day family stuff. But, I'm sure I will always have things I also want to share here. So, if you'd like follow along here please do. I will be posting to this blog in the coming days "Our Quiver-full Story" that I had began sharing elsewhere.
Sincerely,
Joanna










I have to commend your honesty in this struggle. Thank you, because there may be many out there who KNOW exaclty what God wants, but there is at least one who knows exactly how you feel and I'm thankful I'm not alone!!! It is hard sometimes for me to know what God wants, but I am so thankful that as I struggle He is faithful to love me and He is patient with me...
ReplyDeleteWhat's the link to your other blog? I misplaced it! :)
ReplyDeleteI just came across your blog...someone was talking about the exercising skirt. Looks like there are some interesting reads. I, for one, am glad about your dress decision.
ReplyDeleteAngela, thanks for your comment! It has been important to me from the start to be real in what I write here. I will admit though that there have been times I didn't want to be so honest (such as in writing this post) because of what others might think of me. So I really appreciated you thanking me for my honesty.
ReplyDeleteAshley, the blog I had started can right now be found at: http://www.holdingjesushand.blogspot.com however I don't think I will be leaving that blog open long though as I am going to put the posts I'd shared there here. Feel free to check it out though. Good to hear from you.
L-S, Thanks for stopping in and leaving a comment! :) The excerskirt (sp?) is the most comfortable skirt ever, I think!
Joanna
I am so glad you havent abandoned this blog . I struggle in that my husband asks me to wear dresses or skirts to church. I feel so much better in my nice pants I wear to work. Oh well ...I am so thankful for my Godly husband he lead me to the Lord!
ReplyDeleteWhat do you mean by the wrong motives behind your clothing choices?
ReplyDeleteDear Diane,
ReplyDeleteThe following post will, I believe, help you see what I was referring to:
http://makingjesusmypearl.blogspot.com/2008/12/two-weeks-in-dress-day-5.html
Hi Joanna, i am a new follower of your blog. I was captured by your blog title...
ReplyDeletehttp://eminoah.blogspot.com
I get ya now Joanna! Thanks for the reply.
ReplyDeleteBTW, I found your blog from a link you left on someone else's blog. I have enjoyed reading some of your posts.
It has been interesting to find that so many women are being led by God to dress more feminine and modestly and also to get away from having to be so fashionable. I am one of them as well.
Blessings, Diane
Thank you for this post. This is an issue we are praying about right now as well.
ReplyDelete