What this blog is about:

My journey to making Jesus my Pearl; turning away from the thinking of this world and finding my identity and joy in Christ alone.



Matthew 13:44-46

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field."

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it."


Sunday, January 18, 2009

Wearing a headcovering in public for the first time

"Though none go with me, still I will follow
Though none go with me, still I will follow
Though none go with me, still I will follow
No turning back, no turning back."

I find myself singing this song again today. I've got to say this weekend wasn't easy emotionally. Making the step to be obedient to the call God put on my heart to wear a headcovering wasn't difficult at home; It brought me great joy. But, I will fully admit the first times of being around family and also heading out the door to Church were NOT easy.
Did I doubt the value in what I was doing? NO
Did I doubt that God had spoke to me on this? NO
Did I regret I was doing it? NO
Did that make it easy? No

I woke up so early this morning crying and praying... Wishing people understood, questioning if my husband was embarrassed by what I was doing, questioning if my family believed it was something God had asked of me.

I will fully admit I cried a lot. It made me realize HOW MUCH I have looked to others for their affirmation. That in being obedient to what God asked of me it made me different; being different was difficult for me. But, what is it I asked of God a few months ago? I asked Him that I would find my identity in HIM alone! In sensing others were questioning me, rather than looking at me admirably, I had to rely 100% on the Lord; I had to cry out to HIM for strength and peace; I had to lean wholly on HIM and find my identity in HIM!!

I'm reminded of the verse today:

2 Corinthians 12:9 "And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me."

After this time of crying and praying. I talked to my husband; Asking him if he was embarrassed and did he believed this was something God had asked of me and not just something weird I was doing.

God really used that conversation to be of GREAT encouragement to me. My husband said he was not embarrassed, just uncomfortable at first around other people.. But, that he knew he would get use to it. That YES, he did believe that God had asked me to do this.... that no one in their right mind would have the courage to do this unless it was something God had put on their heart. (He's right about it taking a lot of courage!) He also said, "I thought you looked really pretty yesterday" - referring to when I was ready to go to church. I tell you, I balled. That was what I needed to hear from him right then. God knew at that moment I needed to sense that my husband would support me and go along side me in this; even if he doesn't totally understand AND that he saw me as beautiful even when I looked different than everyone around me.

God is faithful. When the verse I quoted above came to my mind I looked up the definition of infirmities. The definintion was: weak, frail, shaky, insecure
I felt frail, weak and shaky this weekend, but HIS grace was sufficient for me in my time of weakness.

Pressing on,
Momma Jo

9 comments:

  1. Good for you! It takes courage to do what you have done. It sounds like God used this as an opportunity to work on your husband's heart. :)
    Hugs!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just recently come across your blog, and I admire you for your passion and courage in following where God leads you. I'm so glad that your husband is being supportive of you in your time of need.

    God bless
    Dusty

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really do appreciate what you've shared here. Such a small thing to be such a huge life changing decision! And more and more as I read of other women, it seems we each must go through much growth and humbleness of heart to obey in this small matter. But what a great thing to obey! Thank you for sharing your thoughts and your commitment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I felt the same way when I first wore my headcovering in public. I could feel the eyes on my head, but I reminded myself the Bible describes us as a 'peculiar people'. Continue to follow God Sister!
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yayyyyyy!!!! Yippieeee!!!! What an encouragement this post was to me, Momma Jo. Obeying Jesus can be so daunting when I take my eyes of the joy of serving Him and look at what others are doing in response to me. I too have to deal with my sole identity being hidden in Christ. Your husband's answer was Christ's gentle word of encouragement - I believe that! Today I had to test out my sprinklers outside - my neighbor came out and kept looking at my head covering. She is one to make her point! She held off this time, as my husband came out right behind me. I want to respond gently. Perhaps you will pray for me?
    Thank you.
    Auntie eM

    ReplyDelete
  6. Auntie eM,
    I so apprecated your joyous response! :) I am so glad my post was an encouragement to you! Thanks for continuing to follow my journey and the milestones along the way!
    I did take some time right away to stop and pray for you; that God would give you courage and gentle words from Him to speak to your neighbor.
    Blessings,
    Momma Jo

    ReplyDelete
  7. i can't tell you how much i enjoyed this post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are doing well to stand firm! Many of us are in a similar position to you - we can all encourage each other, just by keeping our convictions on these things!

    Thank you for your honest post,
    Bethany

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm also the only one in my church who covers her head...Thank you (again!) for sharing your journey. We might be separated by continents, but we're all God's children.Stay strong. Even after all these years of headcovering (ok, not that many, maybe about 6), I still feel like a gazingstock sometimes.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment!

Please note: All photos or images on this blog are either my own photography, ones understood to be public domain images, or ones used with permission.
 
ss_blog_claim=74d49b7f6cc3d69cebfbd1b1d7dd8739