What this blog is about:

My journey to making Jesus my Pearl; turning away from the thinking of this world and finding my identity and joy in Christ alone.



Matthew 13:44-46

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field."

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it."


Tuesday, June 30, 2009

When legalism snuck in the back door...



If you've read this blog in the past month you know I've struggled some emotionally in the past weeks. God had placed additional convictions on my heart. I felt very alone, didn't feel like I fit in at my own church (which I love), didn't understand why others didn't see what I saw in the Bible and on and on...
After sharing very openly with some Christian ladies in my small group all the emotion I was feeling and how much I was struggling, God began to speak to me. I know it was in response to their heartfelt prayers for me! (Thank you ladies!) He spoke some very simple words, that just kept going through my head:
"This is not about them; it's about you!" The Lord clearly reminded me that He put some convictions on my heart in response to my cry to find my identity in Him. But, I had got to a point where I was now focusing on others in regards to these convictions, rather than the Lord... "Why didn't they have these convictions? Didn't they see what I saw?" Even found myself distancing myself internally from dear Christian friends because they did not share in my convictions. This week I was reminded of the article Avily Jerome wrote that I highlighted with her permission on my blog before, in it she wrote:

"A sermon I heard several years ago touched on the concept of setting up “fences.” You put up fences in your life around the areas in which you are weak. For example, if you struggle with alcoholism, you don’t walk past a bar. If you struggle with laziness, you get rid of your TV. And God may call you to put up fences in other areas of your life. This is NOT legalism. Legalism is when you try to impose your fences on someone else."

7 months ago in conversation with God He had stirred in my heart and clearly given me some "fences". So this month when others asked me if I was struggling with legalism, I thought "NO, I'm not doing this out of legalism...I am responding in obedience to the Lord!" That was true and heartfelt, however, though no one had put "fences" on me I had begun to put my "fences"/convictions on others. God made me realize legalism had snuck in the back door and somehow I had been completely oblivious to the reality of that! NO, it wasn't in your face legalism it was a more subtle thing. Although not audibly, internally I had begun placing my "fences" on others. I didn't come to my convictions by someone else putting their "fence" on me yet I was being legalistic in putting my convictions on them.

God put on my heart the things He has because it was the tool He wanted to use to refine me. He chose it for me. This was about me and my relationship with Him. It's not about others. The reality is God is using some completely different tools in the hearts of other Christian women - tools that are just as valuable.

So, for those of you (like myself) who have expressed feeling alone... don't focus on how your convictions may set you apart, follow them indeed, but focus on the Lord and how He is wanting to use those "fences" to refine YOU!
satan wants to use anything the Lord puts on our heart against us. If we allow him, he can use modest, feminine dress (and any other conviction) to make us withdraw from or be critical of others who don't share our convictions. He wants to isolate us and render us useless in the Lord's Kingdom. He also wants to cause disharmony in the Lord's family - Let's not be a tool he uses!

Be faithful and obedient to what God has put on your heart but don't try to be the Holy Spirit for someone else! God's got it under control.


7 comments:

  1. Wonderful posts... I understand exactly what you're saying and I wholeheartedl agree. I remember reading that quote from Avily on her blog a while ago as well, and it's nice to hear it again; so true and useful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that--"don't try to be the Holy Spirit for someone else! God's got it under control."

    Amen! I share your feelings of aloneness as well sometimes. I struggle with judging others while sitting in Mass--"how could she wear that?!" when what I should be concerned about is what I'm "wearing" on the inside.

    Since God made us each unique, absolutely unrepeatable beings, we are by definition going to have unique paths in our spiritual journeys as well.

    I'll be praying for you

    Lara

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've a bit of a different view if you'll permit me. Legalism can be tricky... However, if the convictions God has led us to are directly a result of follwing His Word (esp. the New Test.) - then they are really obedience and something for ALL who claim to be walking with the Lord. In order words, they are not something God has called just ME too. I believe we have an obligation to be teaching and walking in the Truth of God's standards - but always in LOVE. God's Word is for all - whether we feel 'convicted' on it or not. Unfortunately, many Christian churches are not teaching all of the truths of Gods word - and the term 'legalism' when it is really just obedience gets thrown around quite a bit. Of course, we all have areas to be growing in, which is why we need each other. God works through prayer, scripture and other Christians. Be encouraged. Let's keep it our desire to always be on the blessing side of obedience rather than the consequece side of disobedience - which is really - sin. Let's not judge each other to condemn - but encourage each other to holy and righteous living according to God's written word. He will never speak contrary to that word. Blessings! ~Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  4. jkruhl,
    I appreciate you sharing your perspective and I really can't say I disagree with you - if the convictions are clear biblical commands then they aren't just for a particular person.

    The thoughts you are sharing have been things I've been sorting out in my mind and praying about.

    There are some things that God has put on my heart that I do believe are biblical and should be taught in the church and some which are something God is using to refine me personally - not a biblical command for all.

    I do also agree that there are some things the church as a whole no longer teaches that are very biblical and things in the Bible that some churches clearly violate. This saddens me.

    I think it's important that if we clearly see something as a Biblical command that we need to share the Biblical text behind why we believe it to be a command and pray for and trust the Lord to open the person's eyes and heart to it (not try to be the Holy Spirit for them). There is a particular conviction that I hold strongly (that I haven't even shared) that I clearly see as Biblical... something that I simply did not see in the Bible in the past and this year read in the Bible and thought "How in the world did I miss that?" I believe God opens different people's eyes to different things at different places in their christian walk. I'm sure there are things others see that I'm still blinded to.

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    I appreciate all the comments.

    Blessings,
    Momma Jo

    ReplyDelete
  5. A hearty AMEN to your response. "Opening our eyes" is one reason God uses other Christians - but you're absolutely right that its only the Holy Spirit who truly softens hearts. It's why we need each other and hopefully as Christ followers we are truly having open hearts to His ways and teachings. God will direct us if we are seeking...

    I so appreciate your blog. You've been such a sweet encouragement to many, including myself! ~Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  6. Blessings~ This post is so very good. It can be hard to stick to the convictions we have, yet not press them upon others, balancing the truth of the Word in there too...

    I came by because I wanted to let you know that I recognized you with the One Lovely Blog Award from Training Daughters Teaching Wives. :)
    http://trainingdaughtersteachingwives.com/?p=429
    If you don't post about it, that's fine. I just wanted to make you aware we recognized your blog!

    blessings~
    Jacque

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the title of your blog..

    every treasure on this earth fades away,but treasure we accumulate n heaven will not be spoiled..

    and also i like the way you write..very inspiring..

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment!

Please note: All photos or images on this blog are either my own photography, ones understood to be public domain images, or ones used with permission.
 
ss_blog_claim=74d49b7f6cc3d69cebfbd1b1d7dd8739