What this blog is about:

My journey to making Jesus my Pearl; turning away from the thinking of this world and finding my identity and joy in Christ alone.



Matthew 13:44-46

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field."

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it."


Thursday, March 18, 2010

Television ~ Are we laughing at sin?

In recent days I have really had it on my heart to make a very concentrated effort to put only character & faith building content before my children. It is on my heart to make sure that I am using all the tools I can to guide them and train them in the ways of the LORD. For me this means taking a serious look at the things that enter our home via books, magazines, and television. Not only weeding out any bad, but replacing things that are fine and pleasant but somewhat shallow with things that contain scriptural truths and are intentionally guiding children in the truth of the LORD.

The LORD has given us as parents an awesome responsibility to raise up children for HIS kingdom. I think so often we overlook the seriousness of our role.
In thinking of what I want my children to be taking in it makes me think more seriously about what I choose to put before my own ears & eyes.

A friend sent me the following today from her daily devotional and I thought it was really eyeopening how much satan is influencing what is put on television. To think that a show will gain success if it breaks 3 of the 10 commandments - how terribly sad. As Christians we are in the world but we are not to be a friend of the ways of the world.

BIBLE MEDITATION:
Proverbs 22:6 - “Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.”

DEVOTIONAL THOUGHT:
The most dangerous thing on television today, in my estimation, is the sitcom. Do you know what they’re doing? They’re getting you to laugh at sin. In fact, a Christian television and film writer attended a producers’ workshop one day. One of the keynote speakers was one of TV’s most successful producers of sitcoms. In his address, he stated that in order to have a commercially successful production, the characters in a sitcom must violate at least three of the Ten Commandments. How tragic, but what an opportunity for people like you and me to take a stand for the truth and for the glory of God in the film and television industry.

ACTION POINT:
Pray Joshua 1:7 for those who are in the television and movie industries — that they will be strong and courageous.

My husband and I have chosen to pray about getting rid of satellite. Although there are some shows we love, like the Duggars, there is so much filth just in the commercials in between. We pay attention and change the channel when these commercials come on but to me that just doesn't cut it. For, after all, you have to see a bit of the wrong of the commercial to know that it's wrong and than change it.
I'm feeling very done with letting the ways of the world infiltrate into our home in any way. Why give satan an inch?

2 comments:

  1. I agree so much with your post! My husband and I have been so careful the last few years (especially since our son was born) about what we watch. There are even very few PG-13 movies that we can watch without feeling like we saw something we shouldn't have! We recently decided to stop watching a specific TV sitcom, because we were so convicted of the type of humor they were using. I wish that we would have made the decision sooner, but we didn't. I am confident that God will honor our choices to protect our eyes and hearts! Thanks for the great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We don't have cable and only get about 5 channels. Still there is so much immorality on the regular stations. I work outside the home and take lunch w/ coworkers who have cable...they do see some really cute shows such as the Duggars. My huband and I feel tempted at times by those great deals on mail fliers to get the satelite but then realize we would find ourselves even more of a couch potato then we are now! In the early evening we do allow our grandson to watch PBS.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment!

Please note: All photos or images on this blog are either my own photography, ones understood to be public domain images, or ones used with permission.
 
ss_blog_claim=74d49b7f6cc3d69cebfbd1b1d7dd8739