What this blog is about:

My journey to making Jesus my Pearl; turning away from the thinking of this world and finding my identity and joy in Christ alone.



Matthew 13:44-46

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field."

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it."


Thursday, December 18, 2008

Why did women stop wearing dresses?

I've been wearing dresses and skirts now for a month and it's made me think about and realize a lot of things.
Two things I've realized:
1) I've come across nothing I normally do that I cannot do in a long (close to ankle length) dress or skirt. (I've also considered all the things my Grandmothers did in skirts ~ see "A tribute to my Grandma")

2) Wearing a long, modest dress or skirt is much more comfortable than jeans or slacks.

The above being true for me made me wonder "Why did women stop wearing dresses?"The first thing that comes to my mind is that I wonder if it was that women didn't like being different than men. If women felt because (in the past) they did not have the jobs men did or wear the same clothes men did, that they were not considered of equal value. If that was the thinking behind it, than that's a problem to me.

For God clearly did make us different in body, in our emotional makeup, & in the role He had for us. It says in Genesis "And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an helpmeet for him." (Gen. 2:18) The New American Standard version reads: Then the LORD God said, "It is not good for the man to be alone; I will make him a helper suitable for him."

What is the definition of "helper": to aid, to assist, to serve, to make easier for.
A helper is definitely not defined as a leader but as one who serves.
God clearly made us to complete our husband not to compete with him.
The role of a woman being a servant/helper is just as important as a man's role in being the leader.

Wearing dresses and skirts has made me fully embrace being feminine, it's helped me begin to put my husband back at the head of the household (where he should be), it's helped me have higher respect for his position in our family, and to realize the value of my role as a helper.

An excellent article on this subject is: Priorities of a Woman

(I was invited to share this post at Feelin Feminine. You may view the post and a lot of additional comments & opinions at the following link: Feelin Feminine)

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful post. In my searchings on the matter I've found that women abandoned the dresses because it did signify what a real woman is. They had to start "Wearing the pants" in the family. You have an excellent blog, and I've enjoyed reading it. Thank you for your comment on my blog. If you ever want to submit any of your posts for my website Feelin' Feminine I'd welcome you to do so! http://feelinfeminine.com

    blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miss Jocelyn,
    Thanks so much for your comment and compliment on my blog! I think you are right in why women abandoned dresses. Thanks for the invite to post on feelinfeminine too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've linked you here: http://feelinfeminine.com/?p=734

    And just realized you're in Northern Indiana.... so are we. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful post. We have dressed modestly ( dresses only ) here for 5 years now, I could not imagine putting on pants. I never even think about can I do this having a dress on. It is just something that is a routine to me. When I read posts like these, I think wow, oh how I need to keep in mind that I am dressing like this for the Lord and my Husband not just in routine.

    Thank You Again
    Jamie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment!

Please note: All photos or images on this blog are either my own photography, ones understood to be public domain images, or ones used with permission.
 
ss_blog_claim=74d49b7f6cc3d69cebfbd1b1d7dd8739