I am so thankful to see how the Holy Spirit is already changing me internally through the external changes I made in obedience to the call he put on my heart.
Changing my attire alone would not bring about a change in me, so please don't misunderstand. But, in changing my attire in obedience to the Spirit's leading, He has in the process shown me sin issues in my heart & how much of my identity was focused on surface things and what others thought of me. He has opened my eyes to how much the thinking of the world was in my head and how much it affected decisions I've made, not only in the area of attire but other areas too.
For some time I had been asking God to help me to truly find my identity in Him alone. He truly is doing that and I praise Him for answering that cry. I would have never expected the process He is using to bring that about!
It is so freeing to no longer be bound by the thinking of the world. My soul keeps singing "My chains are gone! I've been set free."
After making the changes to modest & more feminine attire God then put additional convictions on my heart... not only to dress in modest skirts & tops, jumpers or dresses but to go a step further and also shy away from styles of dresses & skirts that were trendy in their appearance! (It's so neat to me how God knows how much we can handle at a time. He gradually has raised the standard for me and taught me about each issue in the process. He knows when He needs to discipline me more to bring about the change He desires to make in my heart, to make me more like Him.)
Why no trendy styles? I had asked God to make me find my identity & value 100% in Him; that He would become the pearl that I would be willing to give everthing else up for (parable Matthew 13:46). (Clearly He had some things He wanted me to give up!) His spirit prompted me that even dressing modestly it would be easy for me (He knows my heart & my weaknesses) to still be focused on being stylish and finding some identity in that. I had asked God to continue to convict me if there were other things I needed to change; I didn't want to ride on the fence, and clearly He has shown me this is another step He wants me to make. I want to be completely rid of anything that might pull my heart away from finding my identity in Christ alone and him being my treasure; my pearl.
It is so freeing to no longer be concerned with materialism or how the world views me in appearance; To finally be beginning to place obedience to the Lord before what other people might think!
John 17:16 "They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world."
The Holy Spirit put two childhood songs on my heart this week: "I'm abiding in Jesus, He abides in me! The world may not understand this mystery!"
"I have decided to follow Jesus,no turning back, no turning back.
Though none go with me, still I will follow, no turning back, no turning back.
The world behind me, the cross before me, no turning back, no turning back."
***********************************************
For an Updated post on this subject see - Plain or Fancy?
Currently
2 months ago










Fantastic! I am cheering you on in your obedience to Christ's leading.
ReplyDeleteThank you for letting me know! I am so encouraged by your thoughts, and I"m sure others are as well. "Let the beauty of Jesus be seen in me"
ReplyDeleteWonderful, it's the heart that matters, and it shows. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great heart for Jesus you have. I found your site on a blog catalog group. God Bless! Stop by my blog sometime! I think you'll be bless as well.
ReplyDeleteI'm going to have to spend some time with the "new" Jo to understand completely. I know some Christian women who focus WAY too much on style, yet I know others that I feel are afraid of style for the wrong reasons. Keep pressing on, you just might bring many along side of you in the process!
ReplyDeleteI really like your blog. Lots of interesting things for me to think about. My name is Jennifer by the way!
ReplyDeleteWow, so glad I found your blog. SO GLAD! I love, love, love your passion for Jesus. I love how it manifests in your life. I am so with you and your courage and boldness has REALLY encouraged me!
ReplyDeleteWow... I have been struggling with the Lord for over a year about this very subject. I always thought I had a heart for the Lord, but your words expressed some issues in my own heart that I have been unwilling to admit to myself. It's funny because I am in transition, but it is so hard because I am so worried what my husband will say or think or feel. What will my family think??? I've really gone off the deep end now, but it's really a journey that is freeing me from so much baggage!!! I wish the people I was closest to would understand and know that it's not legalism or something?!?! I just know I'm taking small steps, AND I LOVE THE LORD so much for His patience and acceptance that this is so hard for me... Thank you for your post thank you for being someone who understands even if I don't know you you know how I feel. That's another thing there are no woman around me who see things the way I do and that is so hard!!! Anyway, what you said was true it is like the childhood song "even though none go with me." It's like when Elijah went to God and said I alone follow and serve you and God said no you're not I have saved a remnant for myself who have not bowed the knee. Even we don't know eachother or the other women out there who are making this commitment they are there and it's all for Him...
ReplyDelete