What this blog is about:

My journey to making Jesus my Pearl; turning away from the thinking of this world and finding my identity and joy in Christ alone.



Matthew 13:44-46

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field."

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it."


Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Headcovering... putting feet to my convictions

For those who have been following this blog, You know my recent topic has been on headcovering. You can read my initial post and the comments that followed here:

What are headcoverings for and why would a Christian woman wear one?

I had a lot of dialogue with my husband yesterday regarding my continued struggle with yearning to obey the call God had put on my heart to cover my head (in response to 1 Corinthians 11) but also wanting to respect my husband's feelings on the issue (He did not feel comfortable with the idea). After much back and forth on the topic, where unfortunately I know I exasperted him greatly (which was not my intent), he said he still did not share my conviction but if it was that big of a deal to me then go ahead and do it!

Of course, I wanted him to give me a wondrous blessing and tell me how proud he was of me for being willing to go against the grain to be obedient to what God had put on my heart... and well, that's not quite how it went. But, I am thankful all the same. I love my husband dearly and I appreciate him loving me even when he is at a loss to understand me! (Please read the following post written at a later date - what my error was in this process...)

So today marks the day/the challenge of putting feet to my conviction!
Just saying that last line brought the following hymn to mind: Higher Ground
"I’m pressing on the upward way, New heights I’m gaining every day; Still praying as I’m onward bound, “Lord, plant my feet on higher ground.”

Isn't that so cool the way the Holy Spirit does this! As I just went to hymnlyrics.org to get the rest of the lyrics (to post below) and read these words it brought tears to my eyes. There are not any other words that could have any better expressed my feelings and my prayer right now. Our God is not a far off God; He is a personal God, a loving God, an intimate God. Thank you Lord!

Higher Ground

I’m pressing on the upward way,
New heights I’m gaining every day;
Still praying as I’m onward bound,
“Lord, plant my feet on higher ground.”

Refrain:
Lord, lift me up and let me stand,
By faith, on Heaven’s tableland,
A higher plane than I have found;
Lord, plant my feet on higher ground.

My heart has no desire to stay
Where doubts arise and fears dismay;
Though some may dwell where those abound,
My prayer, my aim, is higher ground.

I want to live above the world,
Though Satan’s darts at me are hurled;
For faith has caught the joyful sound,
The song of saints on higher ground.

I want to scale the utmost height
And catch a gleam of glory bright;
But still I’ll pray till heav’n I’ve found,
“Lord, plant my feet on higher ground.”


I am pressing on!

Momma Jo

8 comments:

  1. Hi Momma Jo,

    when I first started wearing a headcoveirng it was also with my husband's somewhat indifferent or reluctant "blessing", but now he is my staunchest supporter when my on will gets weak.

    This will improve your already good marriage, and your husband will see the fruit of it.

    I joined your web rings and it looks like we are the only two on there so far.

    check out my blog if you have a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alana,
    Thanks so much for your encouragement and for joining the rings!

    Blessings - I'll check out your blog.
    Momma Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep pressing on - I am encouraged reading your words. Thank you for sharing. And the higher we press, the more we see the Light...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm on your side...more importantly, God is!

    Keep pressing on...
    Also, you look beautiful with your head covering!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joanna,
    Godspeed! You are on a precious path...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sooo glad I found your blog. I have huge convictions about modesty and God is calling me deeper and deeper. About 2 months ago I gave up make-up altogether (although tons of Christians think I am nuts) and after reading your posts about headcovering... all I can say is I will be praying...

    But on top of that... I love your blog... I love your heart... I am so glad I finally found someone around my age who I admire because of her devotion to Christ and desire for holiness...

    I have NEVER found someone my age (or around my age) I can relate to in these areas. it really discourages me... so I think God led me to your blog as a source of encouragement. THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ashley,
    It is a blessing to me to "meet" you. It brings me to tears literally when I read of people saying they believe God brought them to my blog to be the encouragement they needed! What you don't know is how much God uses comments like yours to encourage ME too!! Thank you SO much. I struggle just like everyone else but am striving daily to run after Jesus like I never have! Run along with me! :)
    Blessings to you today.
    Thanks for reading and for sharing.
    P.S. For those like yourself that might wonder how old I am... I am currently 33.
    Momma Jo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jo
    You are such an encouragement.I started to cover today for the first time, my husband hasn't given his blessing but has allowed to do this.
    God bless

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment!

Please note: All photos or images on this blog are either my own photography, ones understood to be public domain images, or ones used with permission.
 
ss_blog_claim=74d49b7f6cc3d69cebfbd1b1d7dd8739