
When I began asking Jesus to help me make Him my Pearl; my treasure I'd be willing to leave everything behind for (Matthew 13:45 & 46), I asked Him open my eyes to hidden sins, worldly thinking & lies that had taken residence in my heart and mind that I might be unaware of.
Not long after that when I felt a sense of grief and a desire to repent over my short hair (see "Why I'm growing my Hair long") and was looking into the scripture as to why my spirit was grieved, I read the following:
1 Corinthians 11:4-10 (KJV)
"Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonoureth his head. But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven. For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered. For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man. For the man is not of the woman: but the woman of the man. Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man. For this cause ought the woman to have power on her head because of the angels."
When I read those verses it seemed very clear in my mind that a woman's head being covered was of significance. It did not read to me to be a simple custom but a command to obey; that it was important for women to remember and be marked as being under the authority of God and man. It seemed to me to be an issue of serious weight so I was a little dumbfounded as to why I'd NEVER heard any pastor ever preach on this subject or any Christian I knew talk about it.
In the past 2 weeks I have prayed about this & read that passage of scripture different times. I've also spent a lot of time reading articles on the subject of head coverings and what the original Greek words used were.
I have come away from it all with a strong desire to honor the command to cover my head. I've talked to my husband about it. He was more than a little taken a back by the idea. I've asked him to pray about it, to look at the scripture & read some of the following articles. I understand why it took him by surprise; he, like myself, has never heard anyone preach on it being something of validity for today. I'm continuing to pray about it.
The following articles are some of MANY that I've read. If this topic is of interest to you click on any of the links to read the articles.
"THE VALIDITY AND VALUE OF WOMAN'S HEADCOVERING" By Daniel Botkin
Biblical Research "Headcovering Myths"
"Why Headcoverings are for Today"
"The Christian Woman's headcovering through the Centuries" (photos too)
"Headcovering, the glory of man or the glory of God"
The Truth about the Woman's Head Covering"
The Veiling, A Symbol of Divine Order The owner of the site this is posted on makes and sells headcoverings too.
The following quote was written by John Calvin and it really says a lot.
It seems to me he knew what he was talking about!
“So if women are thus permitted to have their heads uncovered and to show their hair, they will eventually be allowed to expose their entire breasts, and they will come to make their exhibitions as if it were a tavern show; they will become so brazen that modesty and shame will be no more; in short they will forget the duty of nature…Further, we know that the world takes everything to its own advantage. So, if one has liberty in lesser things, why not do the same with this the same way as with that? And in making such comparisons they will make such a mess that there will be utter chaos. So, when it is permissible for the women to uncover their heads, one will say, ‘Well, what harm in uncovering the stomach also?’ And then after that one will plead for something else; ‘Now if the women go bareheaded, why not also bare this and bare that?’ Then the men, for their part, will break loose too. In short, there will be no decency left, unless people contain themselves and respect what is proper and fitting, so as not to go headlong overboard” (John Calvin - 1509-1564)
For an update on this post: Headcovering... putting feet to my convictions










I really like Calvin's quote at the end of this post. It's almost prophetic-- we have women coming in society (and sometimes coming into churches) showing their bellies, etc. and not believing this is a problem.
ReplyDeleteThe "problem" I've always had with this passage is the way that pastors easily breeze over it, believing that it was for another time and not giving me a really good reason why it shouldn't be followed today.
I haven't had my wife wear a head covering, but that's probably because I haven't been willing to come down and make a decision on the topic.
Are you of the belief that women need only wear a headcovering in public worship services, or at all times, or somewhere in between? I am looking into this same topic right now.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteKaren,
ReplyDeleteThanks for reading. It's encouraging to me that I am not the only one whos heart has been stirred on this subject.
Obviously people differ in their opinion on this part. I can't say I know the answer... I personally desire to wear one all the time as I am everyday, every hour under the authority of God and man; not just when I'm at Church and I am in prayer to God all through out my day. In my I heart I strongly yearn to do it to show God honor & submission at all times and to keep my heart humble.
Currently, I am not wearing a headcovering. My husband has felt no conviction on headcovering at this point & does not desire for me to do it. This is very hard for me to understand, especially as part of my desire to do it is to show honor and respect to him as the leader of our home. I'm leaving it in God's hands.
This is certainly something that you must continue to pray about and search for your answer on, rather than skim over, and as you say, your husband's view point is important. I have a lot of helps available at my website, linked at my blog, if you think it might help you all to study on this. God bless us all as we continue to seek and find.
ReplyDeleteMy prayers are with you, dear sister. Oh, I trust that God will move your hubby's heart. You should have been a fly on the wall when I spilled the beans about head covering to my hubby! He was far from thrilled, and just out and out told me one day that he just didn't like it! He was okay with my wearing it to church though, so I took what I could get! Now I think he's beginning to get used to it. It does take some time sometimes. He sees that I'm trying to honor God AND trying to honor him, too. I really don't talk about it a lot, but he sees me covering my head when we pray with out boys. I am praying for you. If you can just hang in there a little longer, God will certainly come to your rescue.
ReplyDeleteSee?! I TOLD you God would come to your rescue! I was sitting at my desk last night just praying hard for you and I told God that I was just trusting Him to come to your rescue...that trusting Him was all I had, and that I believed Him to move in your hubby's heart like he has in mine. God won't let us be put to shame. Now it's time to let our husbands see the renewed behavior and attitude that follow our covering. I want to be even more attentive to my husband's needs...do even MORE the things that he desires and much more often put his needs ahead of my own. In this way, he will see the value of the covering. It's not some small thing! I am thrilled about your husband's (even exasperated) permission. Like I told my hubby, I can do worse things than wanting to cover up and honor him and God.
ReplyDeleteEven though your husband's permission was a bit exasperated, do look for signs that his heart will be more softened over time. I've asked God to move in this area for you, as well.
Let's stay in touch, dear one.
Muhala Akamau,
ReplyDeleteThank you and thank you again.
It means so much to know that you were lifting me and my husband up in prayer last night! You've brought tears to my eyes... again. It's been so touching to have different women (that I'd never met) reach out and be able to relate on this topic.
You are so right it is of utmost importance that our behaviour reflects why our hearts were led to cover in the first place.
Glad to be on the journey with you.
Blessings to you in Christ,
Momma Jo
Hi There, I am 51, started covering five years ago, and am just now determined to handle the dismay of the public, friends/neighbors who despise it. Not men, just the women. It takes courage and obedience from the heart, knowing how serious it is to look upon God's word as commands. Today I posted why I wear a headcovering; and it is the first time ever I have had nearly 60 visits to my blog in one day. I welcome all to read how I came to honor the Lord in this. visit at saltydisciplines.blogspot.com
ReplyDeleteI would hesitate to go over my husband's wishes, though. REMEMBER: God wants you to wear a head covering; therefore HE WILL move upon your husbands heart, once He has tried you and your obedience to your husband. Your behavior, and not nagging him, will win his heart, and he will feel the pressure from the Holy Spirit that he is standing in the way of your obedience to God. I truly believe this is God's way for wives.
I'll pray for you sisters who have this struggle.
Love,
Auntie eM
Auntie eM:
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for leaving a comment. I enjoyed reading your story at the link you left. It seems many women are being convicted by this passage of scripture. There seems to be a revival in regards to this.
I do understand your concern about not nagging, or being disrespectful to my husband. I don't think I was disrespectful or nagging. I was very passionate in making my plea. Although he wasn't comfortable with it I did get his go ahead. He has been very respectful and gracious in the last 3 days since I began wearing it. He has treated me with the same love and respect and doesn't seem concerned about what other people will think. I am so thankful for that and told him that. He is my best friend and such a blessing!
Blessings,
Momma Jo
Hi again,
ReplyDeleteI will post tomorrow on ladies whose husbands are uncomfortable with head coverings; it may be of some help as I use the scriptures to help. It is already written, but I always sleep on it, to make sure it is as the Lord and my husband would have it written.
Blessings!
http://saltydisciplines.blogspot.com
Me making a pest of myself! LOL
ReplyDeleteI just read your note to me; please forgive my over-stepping. Perhaps others may yet be waiting for their husband's support and may be encouraged by my note. The gracious acceptance you have been given by your good husband; wow,
I am so blessed by this!
May our Lord draw you two ever closer!
Auntie eM
Auntie eM:
ReplyDeleteYou did not make a pest of yourself and you needn't feel you overstepped. :)
You are right... how often in marriage we women nag, push & manipulate our husbands to get the desired result/response. We do need instead look to the Lord and allow Him to work in our husband's heart as only He can. It's a good reminder!
Blessings,
Momma Jo