I met my husband at the start of my 1990/91 school year. He was a Junior in High School and I was a Freshman. His family had moved to the area due to his Dad's job. We both ran on the school cross-country & track teams and that is where we met. We saw each other often in practices but we didn't acknowledge one another until my sophomore year. I will fully admit I found him attractive (like all the other girl's did) right from the start! He on the other hand saw me as a little girl - understandably!
My sophomore year we became friends; seeing each other everyday at practices. We were some of the best runners on the school team and our pictures were often featured in the local newspaper next to one another! I would have never guessed back then that the boy that was in those newspaper articles next to me would someday be my husband!
As we became friends I developed a crush on him! He didn't know it, I don't think. He was taller and more mature looking than the other boys I knew; dark eyes and dark complexion and well... the only high school boy I knew with hair on their chest! (Ha -that's funny now!) He had a unique personality and I was intrigued by him. I remember making trips down the Senior hall, totally out of the way to getting to my own classes, just so I could go by his locker, in case he might be there and I could say "Hi"!
Our friendship developed a bit and within a couple weeks after his High School graduation he called and asked me out on a date! I will never forget that. I was 16; I'd been asked out by a couple boys but no one I'd been interested in.
He took me out for dinner & then we went miniature golfing. I will never forget that dinner! We didn't speak much and we both took forever eating; trying to eat pasta with the best of manners! (Ha! Now my food is often gone before he sits down - and he's been known to lick his plate! :) After that first date in June of 1992 we've been a couple ever since! We were engaged in June of 1993 - the summer before my Junior year. We were married a year later; 2 weeks after I graduated from High School in 1994. I do not think there was a dry eye in the church!
It was my dream come true. I had never wanted to date around; I had wanted to find the "right" one and marry him ~ and I DID! Most of my friends aspired to go off to college; not me, all I ever wanted was to get married and stay home and raise a family!
It was my story book story! We had the following song from the movie "The Princess Bride" played at our wedding:
Come my love I'll tell you a tale,
Of a boy and girl
And there love story.
And how he loved her oh so much,
and all the charms she did posess
Now this did happen once apon a time,
When things were not so complex.
And how he worshiped the ground she walked,
And when he looked he became obsessed.
My love is like a storybook story,
But its as real as the feelings I feel.
My love is like a storybook story,
But its as real as the feelings I feel.
His love was stronger than the power so dark,
A prince could have within his keeping.
His spells to weave and steal her heart,
Within her heart but only sleaping.
My love is like a storybook story,
But its as real as the feelings I feel.
My love is like a storybook story,
But its as real as the feelings I feel.
And he said:
"Don't you know i love you oh, so much,
and lay my heart at the foot of your dress."
And she said:
"Don't you know that storybook loves,
Always have a happy ending."
Then he swooped her up just like in the books
And on his stalion the rode away.
My love is like a storybook story,
But its as real as the feelings I feel.
My love is like a storybook story,
But its as real as the feelings I feel.
~ lyrics by Willy DeVille
It's not been an easy road ever since; at times it's been quite rocky. But, as we have grown in the Lord, we have grown in our love for one another.
My husband is my true love, my best friend, and my prince!
![]() |
| Make a Smilebox greeting |
Like the song says "... story book love's always have a happy ending"!











This was cute! You and your husband look so happy together...must be that "high school sweethearts" glow. :)
ReplyDeleteI'm sure God will bring you many more wonderful years together!
Wow! That's so sweet. And very romantic. :D
ReplyDeleteLove the song. Might just have to get it on iTunes now. :P
I also dind't want to date around, he was my first real boyfriend...Maybe one day i'll get round to writing my more boring story on the blog!
ReplyDelete