What this blog is about:

My journey to making Jesus my Pearl; turning away from the thinking of this world and finding my identity and joy in Christ alone.



Matthew 13:44-46

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field."

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it."


Tuesday, February 10, 2009

When I grow up I want to be just like Mommy (part one)

I've realized different times lately how much my little girls want to be just like me. A couple months ago when I stopped wearing pants I noticed that my oldest daughter suddenly began wearing only dresses too. I asked her one day why that was... her response: "Because I want to be like you." Wow. That says so much doesn't it? Brings me to tears to know my daughter wants so much to be like ME. I'm also reminded of my middle daughter who has such a lively, unique personality. When I put her to bed tonight she asked me, as she has many times before, "When I get older will I have those lines on my forehead like you?" Isn't that funny? She actually wants wrinkles on her head because Momma has them!

It's really the biggest compliment we can receive as a mother - to know that are children desperately want to be like us... in any way possible, wrinkles and all!
However, it's also very sobering! It makes me realize how much my life and the way I live it influences my children. I'm reminded that they are developing their thought processes, basing their decisions, and their definitions of right and wrong on ME!

I (WE) need to remember each day how much those precious little ones adore me (us). Are we being Jesus in their life? Are we living in a way that's worthy of their admiration?

"Anything worthwhile is learned from a Mother." ~ unknown

4 comments:

  1. Very true! My daughter will sometimes bring to light in her actions things I realize that I need to work on! It is a great responsibility bringing these children up! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a nice blog. That's great that you're raising wonderful girls who will be wonderful women. They will help make this world a better place because they have your serene & pleasant personality. I meant to write before but work and other things kept me from replying. Did you ever read The Power Of A Praying Wife? It has been so helpful to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Daisy Soap girl,
    :) Thanks so much. I was amused though... my daughters are far from serene!! They are some of the most boisterous, obstinant little girls you might ever meet!
    Working on channeling that energy and will!

    I did read the power of a praying wife a long time ago... that is a good one!

    Thanks for reading!
    Momma Jo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment!

Please note: All photos or images on this blog are either my own photography, ones understood to be public domain images, or ones used with permission.
 
ss_blog_claim=74d49b7f6cc3d69cebfbd1b1d7dd8739