What this blog is about:

My journey to making Jesus my Pearl; turning away from the thinking of this world and finding my identity and joy in Christ alone.



Matthew 13:44-46

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field."

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it."


Sunday, February 1, 2009

Questions for my fellow Christians...

Why is it when I wore too tight of shirts and jeans, or ran around the beach in a bikini no Christian felt it necessary to say anything to me? Why did that not cause concern for my Christian testimony? Yet, when I wear very modest attire and chose to cover my head Christians become uncomfortable and concerned for me spiritually.

Christians say we should be cultural.... What does that mean?
Does that mean we align ourselves with the standards of the world to fit in?
The world does not base it's choices on God's standards. The world bases it's choices and actions on flesh and promoting self.
By saying we need to be cultural are we of the mind that we need to look like the world to impact it? That just doesn't make sense to me. I think the world has lost a lot of interest in Christianity because the differences between us and them are so few; they think we are hypocrites. Have people lost hope in Christianity because we give them nothing to set us apart?

My Grandmother was not like the world around her. She always wore dresses, always had her hair up in a bun, she never wore makeup. People did notice that she was different in her appearance. The way she dressed & what she chose to do or not do was driven out of personal convictions. What was the result... Did people turn away from her? Was her testimony hurt because she was not "cultural", appearing like the world around her? NO... she was one of the most respected women I know.

Why is it that being marked as a believer by how I dress is a negative?
Why do people think having a different standard than the world in how I dress is going to scare unbelievers away? I personally wouldn't think it would scare the unbelievers away. I think they it would intrigue them... they would watch me to see what makes me choose a different standard. I don't think they are scared. I think it's the Christians that are scared. Why are we afraid to be marked as a believer?

Now if my change in attire was not of the heart and was simply to have the appearance of being holy; that would be hypocritical.
But, all of the changes I made were from things that stirred in my heart.
I choose to dress modest so that I am not focused on drawing attention to the flesh or being a stumbling block to any man; I chose to wear dresses because I want to embrace femininity - to embrace being made different than man with a different purpose. I chose to wear a headcovering because God stirred in my heart to honor 1 Corinthians 11. In reading the following why is it that it is still considered appropriate and expected for men to take off their hats before prayer out of respect for the Lord yet a woman covering her head out of respect isn't even thought of in most Christian circles?
"Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonoureth his head.
But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head.." 1 Corinthians 11:4-5

It saddens me that in no longer desiring to fit in with the world I also no longer fit in in most Christian circles.

7 comments:

  1. Great post. I think we throw out things of the Bible what does not fit us. We are too afraid of being laughed at, or thought of as different to change what we are doing. We do not want to pray with our heads covered because we will get laughed at or people will think we are different. We desire to fit in, but instead of fitting in with the Bible, we want to fit in with others. Sadly, I think the influence for how people are dressed these days is coming from the wrong place.

    I used to be one of those people. I focused on my appearance and what people thought about it. I wanted to fit in. I wanted to dress how others dressed. I did not want to be the odd ball. Upon learning more and more about the Bible I changed. I want to live my life the way the Bible says I should.

    I find it sad that we live in a world where people believe they are Christians yet they do unChristian like things. We claim one thing but do another. We read and believe the Bible, but we do nothing to live like the Bible wants us to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we should follow Jesus even if no one does... it is hard to be outsider but if this is result of being obedient, so be it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sad observation, but very true. It's an international problem. We really are scared to be a light on the hilltop.And yes, modesty does set us apart, even in the church.And it's also sad how the ones in the church are the first ones to throw stones and say we're being legalistic etc.It's like they don't believe that God can really transform our hearts, and therefore our behaviour.."If ye love me..."

    ReplyDelete
  4. While I don't think you have to wear skirts and head coverings to be a christian I do think the reaction from those who don't dress that way is interesting. I was telling a friend of mine about Jo's decisions to change her dress habits and her reaction was less than supportive. And I made a comment during sunday school about the way women dress in church being an overlooked problem and the room was completely silent. Perhaps people were pondering the thoughts but there was no "Amen". From my experience in dealing with other women sometimes it's a disconnect from the way women dress and associated consequences. They don't really think about those things being related(meaning social decline, pornography, sexuality, etc.) And I know some others that don't feel convicted about their tight pants and shirts and short skirts, they feel as women they have a right to dress in a way that makes them feel the most attractive and they would say it's a man's problem for not controlling their eyes and thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ladies,
    I appreciate you all sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good questions.... I have no answer for you... still. I don't get it "cultural" modesty either. I wrote about it awhile back but it's just not something that faze people - because they're not searching for His will. They're happy being just over the line.

    Shalom,
    Miss Jocelyn
    aponderingheart.com
    http://feelinfeminine.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I completely agree with you! I've been feeling very sad and lonely lately in my head covering, so this really made me feel better to hear that I'm not alone in this. I love head covering for God, but it does get tiring at times walking around everyday with everyone starring at me like there's something wrong with me for wanting to do so. What makes me sad are not the people I see that stare who are not religious, but the religious women about, and at my church who actually act like I'm not there and give me dirty looks. I remember that when I used to dress in jeans, t-shirts, and shorter skirts (than now that is) not one woman would have a problem with my dress....now there are few women who even want to associate with me. I truly understand more than I ever have in my entire life what Jesus meant when he said: ..."If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me." (Matthew 16:24,NIV)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment!

Please note: All photos or images on this blog are either my own photography, ones understood to be public domain images, or ones used with permission.
 
ss_blog_claim=74d49b7f6cc3d69cebfbd1b1d7dd8739