I have a new scripture verse that I am embracing today:
Proverbs 16:31
"Gray hair is a crown of glory; it is gained in a righteous life."
That's right, you guessed it...
Early this morning when combing my hair I was taken by surpise to spot my first gray hair! It's funny because just a couple months ago I was saying to my husband "I wonder when I'll get my first gray hair?" The thing is this gray hair was likely there two months ago when I asked that question. I parted my hair on the opposite side as I normally do and this gray hair was revealed!
My 7 year old daughter exhuberantly cried "I bet you have more Mommy! Look! There is another one!" Indeed she was right. I did not only see my first gray hair this morning, I saw TWO! (My daughter is determined to find more! - It's like it's some treasure hunt in her mind!)
I will admit if was a strange feeling. It didn't make me cry (like it might some) and I didn't want to pull it out. It just seemed like some sort of milestone. After all there's only one time in your life when you see your FIRST gray hair! A reality hit... This is a sign that my youth has dwindled. Don't worry this is not sending me into despair. Actually it affected me in an interesting way. It made me realize that although I am still young (33 to be exact), I am maturing. It actually made me think about my body and the fact that I will continue to see it age. I can run to the beauty supply aisle and start dumping hair coloring on OR I can embrace it! I am going to embrace it. I will not dye my hair - EVER! Seriously, why cover up gray hair? Why be embarrassed of maturing?
Our culture idolizes youth. It abhors ageing! Have you thought about how contrary that is to the Bible? The Bible talks about the folly of youth and the honor and respect that is to be given to the aged! It says gray hair is a crown of glory! That the elderly are to be given a place of honor.
Today I am thankful for these two gray hairs; For they come with age and with age I've gained more wisdom. I will wear them as a badge of honor. I value the years I have lived. I don't want to go back to my youth. God has taught me so much in the past year alone and I know He has so much more to teach me! Wisdom is something to be treasured!
Job 12:12 "Wisdom is with the aged, and understanding in length of days."
Currently
2 months ago










I remember when my mom found her first gray hair. She wouldn't stop saying "you guys gave me a gray hair! You are stressing me out!" My brother and I couldn't stop laughing. That's probably going to come back to haunt me but strangely enough I already have a gray hair. :) (no joke.)
ReplyDeleteBlessings,
Victoria