What this blog is about:

My journey to making Jesus my Pearl; turning away from the thinking of this world and finding my identity and joy in Christ alone.



Matthew 13:44-46

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field."

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it."


Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Do I miss the headcovering?

Some have wondered how I've adjusted back to the life of not being a headcovering lady. I must say the whole thing now is a bit surreal. You might wonder if I miss wearing the headcovering; if as time has gone by I'm saddened by not wearing it; or on the other hand, if I now think the whole thing was some crazy experience best forgotten.

Well, if you read my post "Headcovering - The blessings of my 3 week journey" you will know I do not think it was some crazy experience best forgotten! God had a purpose in it and used it mightily. But, do I miss wearing it? Have I noticed any changes since I took it off?

Yes and Yes. In it's absence I have realized how much the physical sign of the headcovering helped me focus on honoring the Lord. The material did not have any power in itself; but what it represented in my heart was powerful and affected me in a positive way.

Each time I put the headcovering on I prayed that I would bring honor to the Lord in being marked as His child. Every time I looked in the mirror I saw the headcovering and it prompted a humbleness in me.

I'm analyzing why that physical sign that I could see affected me so. Is that a weakness that I do better spiritually when I am "marked"? Maybe/maybe not. I think in my humanity I need a physical, visual reminder that I am under the Lord's authority. I found being clearly marked as a Christian (out in the world) a very positive thing. I knew people were watching me; That did not make me uncomfortable, it actually made me be much more purposeful in shining a light for the Lord in ALL I did. I knew I was in the spotlight so to speak. It was the awareness that others were watching my life; were they seeing the Lord in me?

I strongly desire to maintain the same humble heart, gentle spirit, and passion for shining a light that stirred in me during my headcovering. I know it comes from the heart and I am the same daughter of the King without a cloth on my head ~ please don't misunderstand. Yet, I still can't explain the value & significance it was for me in being physically marked and having that visual for myself.

I'm considering crafting myself a simple, inexpensive wooden cross/pearl necklace; Something I can wear daily that symbolizes that Jesus is my Pearl! A daily reminder that I am not of this world and it's treasures; a reminder that I am under His authority and my life needs to bring Him glory!

Blessings,
Momma Jo

4 comments:

  1. Ive been thinking of you lately as we both started out headcovering journeys around the same time. Every morning when I put my covering on I am reminded of what a great blessing it is to be a part of this earth and be a child of God. I am reminded everytime I see my reflection that I am helping to do Gods work by covering and I can only hope that I bring encouragement and inspiration to others. I think that your headcovering journey, though only 3 weeks long, was long enough to encourage and inspire others as well. You inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful post! I still don't know what to do about headcovering. I feel led and at the same time not led. I don't know... but I love your heart about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too have thought about wearing a cross necklace as a reminder to daily take up my cross and follow my Lord! This was another wonderful reminder of my purpose in life, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I greatly enjoyed this post Joanna! At times, my covering can be a habit for me and I need to remind myself what it is for and that, yes, people are watching. Especially friends and family that see you every day. Thanks for sharing!

    Melissa

    http://titus2wifeandmommy.blogspot.com (Christian resource blog)

    http://happyhomestead.etsy.com (My headcovering store)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment!

Please note: All photos or images on this blog are either my own photography, ones understood to be public domain images, or ones used with permission.
 
ss_blog_claim=74d49b7f6cc3d69cebfbd1b1d7dd8739